5/26/08

Change Over Time

A year just passed of having my 2nd set of sisterlocks. No bells or whistles, just another day. My hair is swelling but it's kind of difficult for me to determine what my hair is going to look like. The ends on some locks are waaaayyyyy bigger than the sisterlock itself. On others, the ends are the same size as the rest of the sisterlock. I'm going to have a few of them groomed with my next appointment.

This experience is totally different than the first set of sisterlocks. In 2005 when I had my first set installed, I didn't pay attention to much of anything going on with my hair. Sure I noticed the knots, stray hairs and holes in my locks but I didn't take any hair pictures at all. I have pics that I took with my children but that's it. I asked my then consultant about my hair issues. I couldn't get a straight answer. Her only answer was...."that's why I keep mine styled." Not really what I was looking for. I wasn't hip to blogging at that time. All of my questions could have been answered. Plus, I was pregnant with my son and had a 1 year old daughter. There wasn't much time. As I look back at pics during the 1st set, I actually like my hair. The hormonal change during my pregnancy made it go really fast(which is not something I'm used to). One of the reasons I took the first set out was because of not feeling really comfortable with my first consultant. Not getting straight answers really took its toll. The parts were off and I didn't like the size were. But, it was the best thing in the end. Had I stayed with her, I wonder how thin my hair would be right now. I can remember coming home after a retightening and my scalp feeling like it was on fire! I sprayed my hair with a cooling spray AND put my head under some cold running water. It was awful. Had I not started over, I probably would still be doing the same thing.

This time, I'm in and out of love with my hair. For the most part, any styling that I've done since the 3rd month has been to stretch out my hair. I wasn't feeling the fuzzies either. Today, I realized that any styling that I do is not going to stretch my hair significantly. With the exception of about 10 locks(along the hairline) my hair has locked on the ends. I'm going to do something that I don't normally do. I am going to freestyle it for the rest of the week. When I misted my hair today I kind of liked the way it looked so I am going to give it a try.

Here are a couple of pics of me freestylin' it
With and without a little bang but with a bead in front for both.




No comments: