1/1/08

I've been tagged!!!

Here goes.....
1. I absolutely LOVE being pregnant. When I say that, most people find it hard to believe. Both of my pregnancies were EASY!!! I didn't have any morning sickness or any problems to speak of. I was about 3 points away from having gestational diabetes with both. I gained 42 pounds the first time and 45 the second. The first 20 pounds came by around week 20. During the 1st pregnancy, I was teaching 9th graders. I spent most of that time in a chair. The students came to me with questions and were about as delightful as 9th graders know how to be. The last 2 months of the 1st pregnancy were during the summer months when I was out of school. Needless to say I did do much of anyting but rest and eat. It was great! The 2nd pregnancy was just as easy. I didn't have any morning sickness either but for about a week, I couldn't tolerate the smell of food. I just went to another room while my husband cooked. I started having contractions during my last block class. About 8 hours later I went to the hospital. Two hours after that, I started pushing. I pushed for about 4 mintues and 5 pushes. The time in labor in the hospital went entirely too fast!

2. As much as I might complain....I absolutely love teaching!!! It's not so much about my content as it is about the relationships that I establish with my students. I'm in my 13th year of teaching. I've made some very significant relatioships with several of my students over the years. A few of the female students were influenced(without pressure from me) to let go of the chemicals and did the Big Chop their sophomore year of college. My husband was the barber for two of them. I have a male student who is having a difficult time right now. The person he was as a 9th grader is not the person he is today(4 years later). He wants to make changes in his life but most everyone has given up on him. Except, for me!!!I am determined to help him come h___ or highwater. His life is worth it. The thing is that most people expect for the change to occur over night. His evolvment to the current person didn't happen overnight nor with this change occur overnight. It takes time and I'm there for the duration. He wants to change but needs the support and he knows he has it from me. He even told another adult at the school that he knows how much I care about hime and he's not going to let me down. It's not about letting me down but that he doesn't let himself down. That what teaching is for me!

3. I love being married. It's hard work and I sometimes don't work as hard as I should but it's GREAT nevertheless. I love having someone to come home to. I love knowing that someone always has my back. I love that when I need a hug, there are two arms always willing and waiting. I love looking at the reflection of our love, our two wonderful children(a daughter and a son). I love being loved!

4. I am an only child. During my mother's illness and death, it was very difficult not having any siblings who understood what I was feeling. My husband was GREAT! I would not have made it without him. After having my daughter, I thought and decided that I didn't want her to experince what I had alone. She needed a sibling. So, that was the second reason for the birth of my son. The first reason was....I LOVED BEING PREGNANT!! There is nothing greater than giving life!!!!!

5. Growing up, I was very insecure about my hair and skin color. I grew up with a couple of girls who were light skin and had "good" hair. How aweful was that?!?!?! I tried using the same hair products thinking I could get my hair to look like theirs. It was great when I got my relaxer. At least then, after all of the swimming we did during the summers, my hair was straight and I didn't have to spend hours getting my hair washed, blow dried and whatever could be worked out. As for my skin color, I knew I couldn't change that(how did I not know that about my hair) so I ended up in the backgroung not being noticed.

6. All of number 5 has CHANGED!!! It's something about college that changes a person. I gained an acceptance and apprecation for my skin color in college. Maybe it was the attention I was getting, or maybe I just needed to have been separated from what had such a negative influence on my self-image. Whatever it was, it was GREAT!!! I came OUT of my shell and was able to be the person I wanted to be without worring about my skin color. I made friends who accepted me for what I looked like. I was accepted and not ridiculed about was was different. What an awesome experience!!!

7. The acceptance of my hair began right after graduation from college. I made freinds with 'Chel and she introduced me to African dancing. During that summer I danced and admired the locks of one of the instructors. I thought to myself, I would do that if my hair could look like hers. During the summer of 2000 I met a man(now my husband). He liked natural hair. The more I was around him, the more I began to see women with natural hair and all of its beauty. I began to transition in January of 2001. May 14th of 2001 I cut about 13 inches of hair. It was terrifying but the most liberating thing I have ever done. My father hated it(and still does). My mother didn't like it at first but she understood why I did it. She had lost much of the hair in her crown area due to relaxers, high blood pressure, medications and stress. She later told me during her illness that she liked several of the twistout styles that I wore. That was HUGE for me. Now, about 5 years later, I have Sisterlocks. Now, back in the day I didn't think I was so cute but now....I am GORGEOUS and it's all because of the acceptance of how I am. From my TWA, to my BAA, to my Sisterlocks... It's been a great journey!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you thought you didn't have any interesting information to share....I beg to differ..