4/22/07

My Journeys...


When I think back over the last year and a half, I have spent ALOT of money on my hair. Actually more money that I have the entire 5 1/2 years I've been natural. I've spent the equivalent to the cost of 2 years worth of relaxers just on the installation of locks. I jumped into this thing too quick.


Starting from the beginning...Greeting's everyone. This blog will take you through my sisterlock journeys! Yes, there is a s at the end of journey. It all started at the local mall October of 2005. I saw this lady with the most beautiful set of locs. When she said sisterlocks, I immediately knew I had to have them. Before that day, I couldn't wrap my head around the cost to start them. But that day was a deal maker me. I got her locticians card and gave her a call. Two days later I had test locks in my head. I had difficulty accepting the size of the locks. I had not done any prior research. For 3 days, while on a retreat, I kept an eye on the locks trying to decide on the size. My decision....I wanted them larger than the largest sisterlock. The following Sunday they were installed. About 1 month later, I saw lots of women with sisterlocks. Their hair was gorgeous. The huge locks that were in my head didn't look so great anymore. So, guess what I did. I took 3/4 of my locks out to have them done smaller. Well, this time it was a COMPLETE DISASTER. The parting was off, I had 3-5 different sized locks in my head. There were locks in the front of my head that were as larger if not larger than the ones in the back. I had knots running along the length of about 20-30 locks. I later found out from the person who is going to install my LAST set that if the locks are above a certain size, bunching will occur. That's exactly what happened to me. But, I couldn't be too angry. After all, she gave me what I asked for.


I continued to get my hair re-tightened for the next 16 months before I decided that I just didn't like them. Not to mention that I absolutely couldn't stand the pain any longer. After every re-tightening, I had to take 4 Advil and spray my scalp with a Braid sheen with menthol to cool my BURNING scalp. It was absolutely on fire!!! I had bumps on my scalp from where the locks were too tight. My hair was coming out at the root. I asked several times if she had to re-tighten so tight and she said yes. I continued to go because I thought it was painful because I am so tender headed. After a while, I couldn't continue to ignore my hair coming out. I decided to start over and find someone new.


January 28, 2007 I began the task of taking down 280 locks. I took 2-3 down here and there from the end of January until the first week of April. Then, the marathon began. I spent 3 nights in a row for about 4 hours taking down locks with the help of a friend. On the 4th day. I worked about 8 hours. Later that evening, my cousin and her friend came over. Everybody had a section and we worked for about 4 hours that night. The next 2 days, I spent a total of 20 hours taking my hair down. My husband even helped with a few.


As I look back over the time spent, it wasn't worth it but, I also didn't want to cut my hair and start all over. The short time so far with loose hair has helped me realize just how much I loved the freedom of my sisterlocks. I have found someone new to install the next set. She does my friend's sisterlocks. Her hair is gorgeous. This time around, I haven't rushed the process the way I did the first time. The 3rd and LAST set will be installed on May 4th. If after this time I don't like them, I am going to cut and keep my hair at 1/2 inch.


I'll post pics of the new set in 2 weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with your 1st set of locks....This set will be wonderful and you can say that once they are redone..Lots of luck.